Monday, September 10, 2012

Maple Mountain mounts comback against Springville


This was the sight of the high school game I attended this week. The Maple Mountain Golden Eagles played host to Springville High School Red Devils.

For the second week in a row I was treated to a thriller of a football game. This game featured big plays, defensive stops, sustained drives, and clutch performances.

The Golden Eagles took a one score lead late in the first quarter when QB KJ Hall scampered in on a two yard score. Springville did not wait long into the second quarter to reply with a long pass play from Payton Thorpe to Rhett Clarke.
I swear I took this on the scoring play

It looked as though the game was destined to go to the half at a tie after Maple Mountain intercepted a Springville pass on there own two. With just over a minute left KJ Hall broke loose and broke school history with a 98-yard touchdown run. Putting the Eagles up 14-7 at the half.

After the break the Red Devils looked to dominate as Peyton Thorpe looked like Peyton Manning finding open receivers everywhere and leading two third quarter touchdown drives. Including this incredible play after a bad snap.

Trailing by 7 heading into the final quarter Maple Mountain needed to regain the momentum. It seemed it was not to be as Thorpe continued his excellent play. Part way through the 4th quarter they finally struck pay dirt on this play.


That is when the drama really ramped up. On the extra point the ball hit the post hard and was no good. With the Eagle defense struggling for most of the second half things weren't looking so good. Lady Luck however decided to smile on Maple Mountain when the Devils fumbled on their first play from scrimmage following the kick off giving the Eagles the ball at the Springville 9 yard line. The Devils held there ground and forced MM to attempt a field goal.


As you can see the refs say it was no good. I watched this video several times and it seems to be good to me. It crosses in front of the right post and behind the left post and crossbar. Never the less it was no good.

Springville took possession and looked to kill the clock and seal their first win of the season. Misfortune struck them again when they were called for a false start on a 4th and 1 forcing them to punt.

KJ Hall turned into Houdini Hall when he broke off this touchdown run with 30 seconds remaining.

The Eagles failed on their two point attempt but held on after the kick off seal the win.

Honorable Mention for Player of the Week:
Payton Thorpe, QB, Springville. This young man played a wonderful ball game. He played smart and found open receivers, as well as made some athletic plays with his feet. Watching him dual with KJ Hall was truly awesome. It made me think of what it might have been like if RGIII and Andrew Luck had crossed paths in college or high school.

Player of the game/Play of the game:
KJ Hall, QB, Maple Mountain. Simply incredibly performance. I can't say this for certain not knowing the quality of his back up but I feel comfortable in saying that if he had not played this game Springville would have won this game. His fakes were sound and his speed was blazing. Very few players have the speed and stamina to out run everyone else on a 98-yard run  and his clutch run in the 4th quarter, willing his way in the final two yards is very inspiring play from a position you expect to inspire his teammates. That 4th quarter run was the play of the game.

Random Thoughts:
I did take all the pictures and videos in this blog. Forgive the shaky camera at times. I was using a FujiFilm finepix 5. Which is not a video camera and trying to stay steady in the bleachers isn't very easy.... Another ball field with no play clock. What the heck? Help the kids out a get some play clocks out there so we don't have to kill the pace of the game with delay of game penalties.... So I am going to expand the blog beyond high school football to include all amateur football. I will still do a high school game of the week, but I will also be letting you into my season. That is right I am playing in a full contact 9-man league in Utah County called the UTFL check out their website www.hitsomeone.com. I will recap games and maybe practice and talk about why I play. I may or may not also talk college ball..... Please follow my twitter @bigward77 or find me on facebook. Michael Ward. If you try to add me there tell me it is because of the blog so I know who you are. Thanks.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment